The museum in Bóbrka was established on the site of the world's first oil mine.
The crude oil mine in Bóbrka was opened in 1854. To this day, there is an obelisk commemorating this event, erected in 1872 by Ignacy Łukasiewicz. In the years 1854–1880, more than 60 hand-bored shafts were built here, up to 150 m deep, two of which - Franek and Janina, built in 1860 - are still in use today.
The Museum of Oil and Gas Industry was established in 1961, and in 1972 it was opened to the public. It is the only museum operating on the site of an oil mine that is still operating today. It documents the development of the oil industry and the achievements of Polish oil producers.
Worth seeing in the area:
Roman Catholic cemetery from the mid-19th century with a chapel from the 4th quarter of the 19th century in Bóbrka The granary of the 3rd quarter of the 19th century and the remains of the park of the 2nd quarter of the 19th century next to the bank in Chorkówka
The Sulimirski manor in Chorkówka Museum of Noble Culture - the Manor House in Kopytowa (2nd quarter of the 19th century)
Parish Church of st. Stanisław Bishop and Martyr from 1878 in Zręcin
Be the first to know about the latest events, offers and promotions! Code applies to: non-refundable and flexible offer without breakfast, non-refundalbe and flexible offer with breakfast.